Although its use was banned in the UK in 1999, the risks posed by asbestos are still very high for construction professionals. for those working on refurbishment, alteration or demolition projects, it is essential to understand the risks, how to identify the signs, what you can do to prevent problems.
This online course provides professionals with detailed information on what asbestos is, when and where it was used, the risks posed by exposure, and relevant legislation on the topic.
Taking the course will help you keep your colleagues and yourself safe.
If you are a company looking to train multiple employees at a time, please contact the Academy to explore the best offers. This course can be sold individually, and also packaged with other courses on our site.
*Please note, you cannot apply the CPD discount code to this course.
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Describe the properties of asbestos in terms of the risks to and effects on health caused by exposure to asbestos and the increased risk to those who smoke
- Outline the types of asbestos and explain where asbestos and asbestos-containing materials (ACMs) can be typically found within buildings and in plant/equipment
- Describe the main reasons for the use of asbestos insulation, asbestos insulating board, asbestos cement and other ACMs
- Describe the risks of fibre release from ACMs
- Demonstrate an awareness of how you would find information about the presence of asbestos before starting work
- State the procedures to follow if unintentional contact is made with ACMs and describe appropriate emergency procedures
- Outline legislation relating to asbestos, particularly with reference to regulations 4 and 5 of the Control of Asbestos Regulations (CAR)
This course is aimed at anyone working in a role that may see them involved with asbestos. Some of these job roles include joiners, roofers, architects, plumbers, caretakers, painters/decorators and people working in construction.
This list is not exhaustive and there may be other professionals working with asbestos who may benefit from the information contained in the course.
An online course with interactive eLearning and a multiple choice quiz.
These include modules on the following:
- An introduction to asbestos awareness
- A history of asbestos and its early uses
- What is asbestos?
- Exposure to asbestos: the risks and adverse effects on health
- Typical uses of asbestos and ACMs (Asbestos Containing Materials)
- Legislation relating to asbestos
- Basic safety and emergency procedures if ACMs are disturbed
The end of course test consists of 15 multiple choice questions. Learners are required to achieve a 75% pass mark, and, if necessary, may attempt the test three times at no extra cost. If learners do not achieve the 75% pass mark, further attempts may be given by contacting our support team.
Learners will be able to download a digital certificate on completion of each course. This can be printed, and we suggest you keep it for your records.
|For details on CPD on this topic, please click below:|