CIOB Level 6 Diploma in Building Safety Management
The legislative landscape has changed. The newly created role of Building Safety Manager must now be at the heart of the new Building Safety regime. It’s more important than ever that management professionals are able to promote the openness, trust and collaboration with residents necessary to keep buildings safe.
This course will prepare you with the knowledge and skills to manage building safety in line with legislation and regulations. You will learn the techniques for managing the safety of the occupied building. The course will prepare you to look after the day-to-day management of fire and structural safety in higher risk buildings and how to establish a clear point of contact for residents for fire and safety-related issues.
Next Available Date: 28th of September 2022
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- Apply the principles of building design and construction for fire safety
- Apply the principles of fire behaviour to high risk buildings
- Manage resources in building safety management
- Engage residents, communities and users of buildings with professionalism
- Understand the legal framework for Building Safety
This course is designed for construction professionals moving into roles dedicated to Building Safety. It is for leaders who require the knowledge and skills to manage the wider holistic whole building obligations for occupiers’ safety and health, including fire and structural safety.
Specific entry requirements are as follows:
UCAS tariff Score 120 (current) / 32-48 (2017 onwards) and relevant experience
Level 4/6 S/NVQ, or equivalent, in a related subject
Five years’ relevant construction experience
Each unit will deliver the content using the following resources in order to give a rich and informative experience:
- Instructional presentations
- Course reading materials
- Case studies and practical exercises.
- Online forum for tutor and delegates
- Live workshops with your tutor
Our courses are delivered using a platform called GoToWebinar, please follow the links below to test your system and download the software, prior to your course starting.
- Download the GoToWebinar software here: Download GoTo Connect, Resolve, Meeting, Webinar, GoToAssist Applications | GoTo
- Test your system here: https://support.goto.com/webinar/system-check-attendee-av
- Full user guide: https://support.goto.com/webinar/att-user-guide
The course will cover:
There are six units for the CIOB Level 6 Diploma in Building Safety Management:
- Unit 1 – Fire Safety Legislation for Construction
- Unit 2 – Fire Safety Management for Construction
- Unit 3 – Building Safety Management
- Unit 4 – Health Safety & Wellbeing for Building Safety
- Unit 5 – Technology & Structures for Building Safety
- Unit 6 – Building Regulations for Construction
You will complete one assignment per unit. Assignments are graded pass, merit and distinction and a certificate will be issued at the end of the course. An overall grade will be issued upon completion of all six units.
Brad Walker, FCIOB, FCABE, EngTech, AIFireE
Fire Risk Management Consultant
Brad is a fire safety consultant and has supported clients in the housing & commercial sectors for the past 5 years. Prior to that Brad served in the Lancashire Fire & Rescue Services for 30 years in various role(s).
He is an experienced and competent Fire Risk Assessor and Fire Incident Investigator, and one of Brads specialisms is supporting organisations in positioning their Fire Risk Management Plans and Strategies and has successfully carried this out for several housing organisations.
Brad also designs and delivers fire safety training to clients, residents, housing teams and in-house maintenance teams. He is a Fellow of CIOB and CABE, Member of the Engineering Council and Institute of Fire Engineers and has various qualifications in Fire Safety.
He took Trafford Housing Trust through the BS9997 Fire Risk Management process, and in January 2020 they were awarded the standard and became the first business in the country to receive the accreditation,.
Brad has been designing and delivering fire safety courses for the CIOB for the past few years and has taken over 200 students through this course.