Construction Management Essentials: Construction Business Environment
If you are a company looking to train multiple employees at a time, please contact the Academy to explore the best offers. This course can be sold individually, and also packaged with other courses on our site.
To understand the business environment in which you work, you need to understand legal, social and environmental frameworks, as well as having the skills to manage performance in these circumstances. By understanding all these you can make the right choices for your business, an essential element of success.
Construction Management Essentials: Construction Business Environment covers legal, social and environmental elements as well as looking into performance management. On the legal topic, you will look at relevant legislation and how it impacts your role as a manager. For both social and environmental areas, the focus will be on developing your ability to appraise your responsibilities and apply best practice to meet your professional obligations. Finally, the course will cover performance management techniques, giving you the tools to apply them in the built environment.
The course will give you the skills to make informed judgements by critically analysing information and data which may be incomplete, and to communicate ideas, information, arguments and results.
This course is delivered online via e-learning and case studies to support you as you study. You will be given access for 90 days to offer you flexibility as you study.
At the end of your course you will be able to:
- Critically evaluate the impact of legislation that falls within the responsibility of the construction manager
- Appraise environmental concepts and how they apply to organisational strategy and policy formation
- Review and apply aspects of social responsibility and professional obligations in a construction context
- Identify problems, gather data and evaluate approaches
The course is for those looking to develop skills in a key area of construction practice. The course is suitable for*:
- Construction managers
- Site Managers
- HNC or HND construction professionals
- Other technical and specialist professionals working in the construction industry with 3 – 5 years’ experience
*This course is a standalone that contributes to your professional development. For those looking to become MCIOB via the Chartered Membership Programme (CMP), please purchase the full CMP programme.
Content will be delivered using the following resources in order to give a rich and informative experience:
- Instructional eLearning
- Course reading materials
- Case studies and practical exercises.
The topics covered are:
- Common law and torts
- Letters of intent
- Oral contracts,
- Limitations and contracts under hand/deeds
- Remedies for non-performance including termination
- Bribery Act (UK)
- Waste management
- Sustainable communities
- Contaminated land
- Life cycle assessment
- Environmental Impact Assessment
- Building and sustainable development
- Current technologies
- Future and legislative requirements
- Setting targets
- Post contract evaluations
- Data analysis
- Value Engineering
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Environmental Impact assessments
- Modern Slavery
- Professional conduct and ethics
- Considerate contractors
- Social wellbeing
At the end of the course there will be a short online quiz to test your understanding of subject. You will receive a certificate of course completion following this.