Effective Supply Chain Management
Unlike many other industries, construction has been slow to see the benefits of supply chain management. The industry has many problems, most of which are well known; proactive supply chain management has the potential to address a number of these issues.
The course considers the principles and practice of supply chain management. It considers alternative procurement methods and provides a range of tools and techniques which will build value to all contractors at each stage of a project. The use of such tools and techniques will become an essential part of all contractor’s quality management.
The relationship between project management and supply chain management is considered, and practical examples of successful supply chain management are used throughout the course, including discussion about how and when to start, together with consideration about pricing. It is also important to continually improve and develop procurement staff, and examples of the process and the benefits are included in the course.
In summary, on the successful completion of this course, contractors will have the knowledge to build successful relationships with their supply chain which will present them with increased opportunities when working with clients.
This course has been designed for main contractors, sub-contractors and specialists alike. It is relevant for all those who are involved with the procurement and management of projects, working on all types and sizes of building, civil engineering, infrastructure and maintenance projects in both the public and private sectors. This includes Construction Managers, Commercial Managers, Business Development Managers, Quantity Surveyors, Project Managers, Estimators, Contract Managers, Project Planners and procurement staff.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Understand the benefits of supply chain management
- Learn how to begin actively using supply chain management
- Manage all the parties involved with the process
- Consider pricing and contractual issues
- Manage the development of procurement staff
- Understand how supply chain management fits with procurement methods
Your course will cover:
- What is Supply Chain Management?
- Typical industry problems and how Supply Chain Management can help to resolve them
- How other industries use Supply Chain Management to their advantage
- Consideration of how Supply Chain Management can assist in developing organisations
- A review of logistics, information management and the importance of people
- A review of organisational structures required for Supply Chain Management to be effective
- What’s holding it back?
- Implementing Supply Chain Management
- Improving relationships between members of the supply chain
- Detailed consideration of the issues to be improved
- Organisational learning.
- Practical workshops considering contracts appropriate to SCM
- Standardisation and offsite manufacturing.
John Parry MSc, MBA, DipProjMan, MRICS, MCIArb, MCIOB
John is a director of Rogerson Parry Ltd, a practice providing consultancy services in construction law, project and business management. He has over 40-years of experience in the construction industry, working as a contractor, developer and consultant in the UK and overseas.
John is very interested in helping individuals and organisations to grow and prefers conflict avoidance to dispute resolution. His training interests’ reflect his wide-ranging work experiences.