NEC for Contractors
One of the most important contract suites in Construction, the NEC contracts apply excellent project management principles and practices, define clear legal relationships, and promote best practice in procurement. They are also suitable for a diverse range of works and services. As such, a knowledge of this suite of contracts is essential for anyone in construction.
The course will start by detailing all the various forms of NEC, and will then move into detail on creating the NEC contract for your projects. You will be shown how to complete contract data, understand the different payment options, and best practice with regards to communication when using NEC. Payment mechanisms, risk management, and managing compensation events will also be covered.
At the end of the course you will be clear on the various forms of NEC, the major and the changes between NEC 3 an NEC 4. You will also have the practical skills to select the best options for your project, complete all parts of contract data, apply payment mechanisms and manage compensation events. This will mean you can be confident to run successful projects under NEC forms of contract.
The course will be of value to construction professionals from Small, medium and large contractors and subcontractors who are involved with NEC forms of Contract or will be involved.
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- Recognise the different NEC forms of contract supply service and works
- Identify the differences between NEC 3 and NEC 4
- Select the best option having recognised the risk associated with the different options
- Complete the relevant parts of Contract Data
- Appreciate the Risk Management aspects of NEC
- Apply payment mechanisms and draft payment notices
- Manage Compensation Event mechanisms
The course will cover:
- What is an NEC Contract and the many forms inside the suite
- the modular approach to creating an NEC contract
- The different payment options and secondary options available
- Completing the Contract Data
- Communicate under NEC
- Risk Management and Early Warning / Risk Reduction Meeting
- The payment mechanisms
- Managing Compensation Events
Nigel Clayton provides in house and external full day seminars in a variety of construction related topics. His delegates have included local & regional contractors, sub-contractors, developers and specialist trades as well as construction professionals such as architects, surveyors and engineers.
He has also represented parties in adjudications and procured tenders for rail projects on behalf of Chiltern Railways amongst other works.
Prior to establishing his own successful consultancy, Nigel has enjoyed senior positions with both contractors and consultants. A wide experience in the construction sector both internationally and across the UK provides Nigel with the practical and anecdotal references he uses throughout his training. Nigel has also had significant success commercially managing projects and teams in the infrastructure sector.