Successful Sub-Contracting: Fundamentals
To thrive in the modern construction industry, it is imperative you are able to maximise your efficiency and contribute to on time and in budget completion. Not only will this mean you meet your commercial targets, but also to demonstrate the benefit of a long-term relationship with your company.
Our course focuses on the critical success factors for sub-contractors. Beginning with an overview of the most essential aspects to be fully aware of, and to manage, for sub-contractors. It will then go into detail around the tender process and best practice on formulating the best price, governance and control. You will also be given practical training on site set up and commencement, project reviews and control, correct administration practice, quality control procedures, and achieving on time handover and completion, and fully closing value and costs.
The course will be a cradle to grave review of best practice and watch outs to help your business to thrive in the construction cycle, including mitigating risks and taking advantage of opportunities related to your project.
This course has been designed for clients, consultants, contractors, specialists, and sub-contractors. It is relevant to all those involved in the design, procurement and management of projects, working on all types and sizes of building, civil engineering, infrastructure and maintenance projects in both the public and private sectors. This includes Human Resources Managers, Construction Managers, Commercial Managers, Business Development Managers, Quantity Surveyors, Project Managers, Estimators, Contract Managers, Project Planners and procurement staff.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Understand the critical life cycle elements to a project and where procedures may be required
- Understand the importance of process and control
- Demonstrate a clear knowledge of staff roles and responsibilities during the life cycle
- Develop and incorporate advance strategies into your business related to value recovery, cost control, optimum procurement methods, best practice administration / record keeping and contractual arrangements
- Identify, create and manage a priority list of core issues and their importance
- Become aware of and implement technological tools with an introduction to diary app’s and BIM
- What contracts should be adopted
- Tendering – best practice
- Tendering governance and control – involve the experts
- Setting up and operational structures
- Project reviews – best process for reflecting the status and problems including cost and value control
- Management and control of overheads
- Contract administration and record keeping – the priorities
- Quality control
- Handover and completion – risks and strategies
- Technological tools
John Hayes FCIOB, FRICS.
John Hayes is a fellow of the CIOB and the RICS and is an accredited mediator with over 30 years’ experience as a quantity surveyor and commercial director.His key areas of expertise include:-
- Commercial management
- Contract reporting
- Quantum assessment
- Conflict Management
- Dispute resolution
- Claim and change assessment and negotiation
John has extensive experience of £multi-million global framework and construction projects in the UK, Europe and Australia working for £multi-billion construction companies and has extensive commercial, adjudication, arbitration and litigation experience.