Construction Management Essentials: Construction Technology
Our course is designed to expand your understanding of ground engineering techniques and substructure technology and how the decisions taken should be considered in the context of the principles of the building services.
Analysing and designing the operation of the superstructure is a crucial part of this course and will enable learners to cope with the requirements of construction related projects. You will be provided with key skills in understanding the principles of relating work on existing structures and fabric as well as coping with the requirements of construction projects as the pass through the design process.
By completing the course you will demonstrate an ability to analyse the principles relating to work on existing structures and understand the design process to the built environment. The Construction Technology course is delivered online via e-learning and case studies to support you as you study. You will be given access for 90 days to offer you flexibility as you study.
At the end of your course you will be able to:
- Understand and apply concepts in ground engineering techniques and substructure technology.
- Understand the principles of the installation of building services
- Analyse the design and operation of the superstructure for commercial and multi storey buildings
- Understand the principles of relating to work on existing structures and fabric
- Understand the design process in relation to the built environment
The course is for those looking to develop skills in a key area of construction practice. The course is suitable for*:
- Construction managers
- Site Managers
- HNC or HND construction professionals
- Other technical and specialist professionals working in the construction industry with 3 – 5 years’ experience
*This course is a standalone that contributes to your professional development. For those looking to become MCIOB via the Chartered Membership Programme (CMP), please purchase the full CMP programme.
Content will be delivered using the following resources in order to give a rich and informative experience:
- Instructional eLearning
- Course reading materials
- Case studies and practical exercises.
The topics covered are:
Ground engineering techniques and substructure technology
- Propose suitable foundation systems and basement construction
- Propose suitable temporary works in relation to excavations and ground stabilisations
Principles of the installation of building services
- Describe the operation of building services and systems for a multi storey structure
- Propose a suitable schematic diagram to indicate services
The design and operation of the superstructure for commercial and multi storey buildings
- Describe suitable methods of construction for framed multi storey buildings
- Describe innovative methods of construction for multi storey buildings and systems for the exterior envelope
- Discuss building performance service life, installation, building materials performance
The principles of relating to work on existing structures and fabric
- Describe suitable methods for modification and refurbishment of existing structures
- Describe suitable methods for fabric repair and maintenance
The design process in relation to the built environment
- Discuss the principles of architectural aesthetics in relation to client and user requirements.
- Discuss environmental sustainability, legislation, embedded safe design systems in relation to the design process.
- Discuss the political, social and cultural impact of design and development
At the end of the course there will be a short online quiz to test your understanding of subject. You will receive a certificate of course completion following this.