Construction Management Essentials: Construction Technology
If you are a company looking to train multiple employees at a time, please contact the Academy to explore the best offers. This course can be sold individually, and also packaged with other courses on our site.
Our course is designed to expand your understanding of ground engineering techniques and substructure technology and how the decisions taken should be considered in the context of the principles of the building services.
Analysing and designing the operation of the superstructure is a crucial part of this course and will enable learners to cope with the requirements of construction related projects. You will be provided with key skills in understanding the principles of relating work on existing structures and fabric as well as coping with the requirements of construction projects as the pass through the design process.
By completing the course you will demonstrate an ability to analyse the principles relating to work on existing structures and understand the design process to the built environment. The Construction Technology course is delivered online via e-learning and case studies to support you as you study. You will be given access for 90 days to offer you flexibility as you study.
At the end of your course you will be able to:
- Apply concepts in ground engineering techniques and substructure technology.
- Critically evaluate the design and operation of a building’s superstructure.
- Examine and apply the principles of the installation of building services.
- Analyse the value of integrating off-site fabrication into a construction project.
- Identify problems, gather data and evaluate approaches.
- Makes informed judgements by critically analysing information and data which may be incomplete.
- Communicates ideas, information, arguments and results.
The course is for those looking to develop skills in a key area of construction practice. The course is suitable for*:
- Construction managers
- Site Managers
- HNC or HND construction professionals
- Other technical and specialist professionals working in the construction industry with 3 – 5 years’ experience
*This course is a standalone that contributes to your professional development. For those looking to become MCIOB via the Chartered Membership Programme (CMP), please purchase the full CMP programme.
Content will be delivered using the following resources in order to give a rich and informative experience:
- Instructional eLearning
- Course reading materials
- Case studies and practical exercises.
The topics covered are:
The types of soils that a constructor may occur
- Soil compaction
- Treatment of contaminated soil as part of the construction process of foundations.
The design of high rise buildings
- An analysis of the main materials used in the construction of multi-storey buildings.
- The role of offsite manufacturing in the construction process.
Space heating, natural ventilation, passive solar and thermal mass in buildings.
- The role of space heating, the two pipe system and multi circuit and pressurised heating systems in buildings.
- The use of active and passive fire protection and security systems on multi storey buildings.
- The concepts of circulation in buildings and HVCA and Air Handling units in buildings.
- An analysis of how BIM and Building Control impact on the Construction Industry.
The construction and maintenance of basements in buildings
- The use of façade techniques on refurbishment and repairs to buildings.
- The treatment of wet and dry rot, and the principles of drainage.
At the end of the course there will be a short online quiz to test your understanding of subject. You will receive a certificate of course completion following this.