850,000 people in the UK are living with dementia, a number that is expected to rise to 1 million by 2021. We need society to support them to continue to live well. This means organisations need to be taking steps to become more dementia friendly, to support both colleagues and customers affected by dementia.
Two thirds of people with dementia still live in the community. We therefore need both their own homes and the public buildings they continue to access to be dementia friendly. However, 93% of homes lack even basic accessibility features. Across every part of the built environment sector, organisations can make a valuable contribution to support people with dementia facing these challenges to continue to live well in their own homes and community.
The first step is to become a Dementia Friend, which this elearning module will allow you to do. Dementia Friends is an Alzheimer’s Society programme changing the way people think, act and talk about dementia.
By completing this elearning, you will become a Dementia Friend and will be joining more than 3 million Dementia Friends in England and Wales.
At the end of this module you will be able to:
- Understand more about dementia and how it impacts on people both living with it and affected by it
- Understand the small actions you can take to support customers and colleagues affected by dementia
- Identify the ways the built environment can cause challenges for people with dementia
- Take steps to make the built environment more dementia friendly so people with dementia can live independently for longer
The module is for those looking to better support the wellbeing of customers, end users and colleagues. The module is therefore suitable for those across every part of the construction sector.
Content will be delivered using the following resources in order to give a rich and informative experience:
- Instructional elearning
- Reflective activities
The topics covered are:
Perceptions of dementia
- Discuss the negative stereotypes of dementia still prevalent in society
- Explain the impact of these negative stereotypes and our need to combat them
- Explain the origins of Dementia Friends and a background to Alzheimer’s Society
- Describe challenges people affected by dementia face in specific situations
- Discuss the five key messages of the Dementia Friends programme
Supporting people affected by dementia
- Explain the importance of committing to take action for people affected by dementia
- Discuss what small day-to-day changes can be made in your personal life
The role of the built environment
- Discuss how dementia can cause challenges with the built environment
- Discuss the legal requirements for ensuring the built environment is accessible
- Discuss the considerations you should consider when planning, design, constructing and managing housing and buildings to ensure they are more dementia friendly
At the end of the course there will be a short online quiz to test your understanding of the subject.