CIOB Academy Course
APEL Route to Chartered Membership
This service has been created to help members in the ACIOB and ICIOB grades who do not have qualifications at level 6 (no degree, higher NVQ or CMP) move into Chartered Membership.
The Grade Review in 2015 closed the ACIOB and ICIOB grades to new members, members in those grades were given 10 years to move into MCIOB before the ACIOB and ICIOB grades are completely closed in 2025.There are still about 8,500 ACIOB and ICIOB members to support into Chartered Membership.This process is to help them to do this.
The APEL route is only available to current ACIOB and ICIOB members (or ‘2021 lapsers’) and will cease to exist in March 2024.The route comprises of an interview with a CIOB assessor, who will check the candidate’s skills and knowledge to determine their suitability for Professional Review, the final step to membership.
Each interview will last approximately one hour, and can be arranged directly with the Academy.
**The cost of this course includes the CIOB £50 registration fee for the APEL assessment.**
We now accept payment in USD for all our courses. For more information please contact [email protected]
- The APEL process is not a qualification and it is not a learning programme. It is a formal assessment of the candidate’s knowledge and skills.
- Candidates will sign up and they will carry out the assessment in an interview with an experienced CIOB assessor.
- Assessors are looking to see how the candidate’s knowledge and skills match up with the requirements. If it’s a good match, they will say the candidate has ‘passed the APEL’ and can go on to Professional Review as soon as they feel ready.
- If there are gaps in their knowledge and skills then the assessor may suggest that the candidate do some formal learning at level 6; perhaps CIOB’s own CMP, or maybe an NVQ.
Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.
- Assist ACIOB and ICIOB members in time to avoid lapsing.
- Achieve Chartered Membership
- This route is aimed at those members in the ACIOB and ICIOB grades who do not have qualifications at level 6 (no degree, higher NVQ or CMP). For a limited time only (until March 2024), these members could sign up for this assessment to look at the skills and knowledge they have from their experience instead.
- Candidates may still wish to complete the Chartered Membership Programme or another qualification instead. If members have lapsed in this subscription year, they may still be eligible. People who have lapsed before this year will not be.People who have not actively worked in the last three years will not be eligible.
- Their experience must be up to date for this assessment. This is not, therefore, a route for retired members. The assessment is open to ACIOB and ICIOB members from UK and Ireland and from overseas.
An APEL assessor will carry out an assessment and interview
Ethics and Professionalism
CIOB Conservation Conference
New ideas for tough times
The theme of this year's annual conference is balancing conservation needs against rising costs. It is ideal for professionals involved in historic or traditional buildings as well as homeowners who are embarking on their own project.
We have drawn together leading experts from the UK and Europe who will give delegates the inside track on how these projects were successfully delivered and how they can apply what was learned to their own decision making.