CIOB Level 6 Certificate in Fire Safety in Construction
Quality and Health and Safety
This course provides a holistic overview of fire safety and the underpinning knowledge that will enable you to manage fire safety in a modern building covered by the Fire Safety Order.
Following the Grenfell inquiry, Dame Judith Hackitt produced a recommendations report that outlined the improvements that the sector should make to prevent this type of incident from reoccurring in the future.
The report identified the need for a more joined up approach to working should be implemented (The Golden Thread of Information).This course is designed to improve fire safety awareness for construction industry managers and those responsible for managing fire safety in the workplace. The course covers current and upcoming legislation, building design, fire risk assessments, fire science, and human behavior in regards to fire safety.
You will learn how to effectively manage and implement fire safety systems, enhancing the safety of building occupants and complying with fire safety laws to reduce the occurrence of fires.
Members gain 10 CIOB CPD points when you reflect on the ethical aspects of your learning from this activity.
**This course qualifies for a CITB grant of up to £600, for further information, please contact CITB directly.**
To enrol: Please Click Here to be eligible for the course, you are required to score 100%. Once you have completed the form, please send the copy you receive as proof of completion to the academy team, to book onto the course.
Next Available Dates
28th September 2023
You can pay for this course in the following currencies:
Each unit will deliver the content using the following resources in order to give a rich and informative experience:
- Instructional presentations
- Course reading materials
- Case studies and practical exercises.
- Online forum for tutor and delegates
- Live workshops with your tutor
- Following purchase of a CIOB Academy course the team will email delegates registration links and additional information, 1 week prior to the course start date.
- Accessing the live webinar sessions during the course require delegates to register using teams
Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.
- Evaluate the role of the Building Safety Manager with regards to Legislation, regulation and enforcement in buildings covered by the Fire Safety Order
- Assess the role and responsibilities of the Local Authority Fire Service
- Describe the principles of building design and construction
- Evaluate the aims of the fire risk assessment process
- Assess the principles of fire behaviour
- Assess the impact of human behaviour on the outcomes of a fire
- Apply effective fire safety management systems
The course is in 2 units, and will cover the following:
Unit 1 – Fire Safety Legislation for Construction
- Legislation, Regulation & Enforcement and the role of the building safety manager
- Role and responsibilities of the Local Authority Fire Service
- Building Design and Building Construction
Unit 2 – Fire Safety Management for Construction
- Principles of fire behaviour to high risk buildings
- Impact of human behaviour on the outcomes of a fire in high risk buildings
- Aims of the fire risk assessment process
- Managers in construction who have a responsibility for fire safety
- Facilities managers
- Managers who have a responsibility for fire safety in the workplace
- Directors who manage a property services department
- Board members who would like to know more about fire safety
Specific entry requirements are as follows:
UCAS tariff Score 120 (current) / 32-48 (2017 onwards) and relevant experience
Level 4/6 S/NVQ, or equivalent, in a related subject
Five years’ relevant construction experience
You will be assessed through a written assignment that is based upon a project scenario set by CIOB.
FCIOB, FCABE, EngTech, AIFireE
Brad is a fire safety consultant and has supported clients in the housing & commercial sectors for the past 5 years. Prior to that Brad served in the Lancashire Fire & Rescue Services for 30 years in various role(s).
He is an experienced and competent Fire Risk Assessor and Fire Incident Investigator, and one of Brads specialisms is supporting organisations in positioning their Fire Risk Management Plans and Strategies and has successfully carried this out for several housing organisations.
Brad also designs and delivers fire safety training to clients, residents, housing teams and in-house maintenance teams. He is a Fellow of CIOB and CABE, Member of the Engineering Council and Institute of Fire Engineers and has various qualifications in Fire Safety.
He took Trafford Housing Trust through the BS9997 Fire Risk Management process, and in January 2020 they were awarded the standard and became the first business in the country to receive the accreditation,.
Brad has been designing and delivering fire safety courses for the CIOB for the past few years and has taken over 200 students through this course.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
Our courses, CPD and publications are guaranteed to meet your development needs and help you gain and maintain industry qualifications and CIOB membership.
We offer on-demand, in-person training, as well as dedicated training solutions to meet your company's needs.