Contract Administration & Awareness for Contractors
The ability to administer the terms of a contract is a fundamental part of any construction project as most contractors experience contractual difficulties and issues at some time or another. Contractors need the knowledge and skills related to contract provisions and record keeping in relation to the scope of the project, and the client’s key drivers. They also need to know how the provisions of the building contract apply to a given project
This course is designed to simplify those contractual issues, make them understandable and accessible for the staff of the contractor, and to provide best practice in contract administration for any given project. The course will use JCT contracts as a back drop, however, the good practices discussed are industry standard and the principles can be applied to most other forms of contract.
You will leave the course with detailed knowledge of client needs, common contractual issues that you may face and you will be better equipped to recognise potential issues and work on preventative techniques, leading to successful contract fulfilment.
Remember, knowing how best to protect your company could be the difference between success and failure of the project.
The course will be of value to management & commercial staff of Main Contractors and Subcontractors including:
- Contracts Managers
- Commercial Managers
- Site Managers
- Project Managers
At the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Recognise the Client’s Key Drivers and how they impact upon a Contractor’s performance.
- Appreciate signs of common contractual issues and learn how to minimise their impact on a Contractor.
- Protect the interests of your company by good record keeping, notices and recording of key events.
- Have an awareness of key events and their consequences for the contractor.
- Prevent disputes from arising by having an awareness of techniques to minimise their impact.
The course will cover:
- Key Drivers of the client and impact on the Contractor
- Communication is Key to good contract relations
- Modern communication methods pros and cons
- Delays to site progress
- Recording Delays – Tips and Tools
- Loss & Expense procedures
- The Importance of Contractual Notices
- The importance of Record Keeping
- Section completion
- Partial Possession
- Practical Completion
- Dispute Avoidance & Resolution
Tony Ward FRICS, FCIOB, MCIArb
Tony Ward is a fellow of RICS, CIOB and member of CIArb with over 30 years experience as a Surveyor and Contract Consultant.
He is also the Founder and Managing Director of Award Consulting Ltd and enthusiastic and experienced trainer in contractual matters.
His key areas of expertise include:
Forensic Quantity Surveying,
Claim Preparation and Rebuttal,
Dispute Resolution and Training
Tony Ward also has extensive experience with £Multi Million UK, Construction Projects. His clients include many top 50 UK Main Contractors, local Councils, Housing Associations and Property Owners. He also has 20 years experience in Claims & Disputes involving Adjudication, Arbitration, Litigation.