Diversity and Inclusion in the Built Environment
Quality and Health and Safety
A free online course looking into the issue of diversity and inclusion in the built environment.
The construction sector remains a male-dominated industry, that is not consistently diverse nor inclusive of under-represented people across the globe.
However, research demonstrates that diverse and inclusive organisations are more creative, productive and profitable. The evidence shows that they are more innovative and responsive to diverse customer needs and aspirations.
Ambitious employers are recognising the need to attract and retain a diverse and talented pool of built environment professionals for the best chance of success in global markets. Research also demonstrates that employees who feel valued for their contributions, rather than judged on personal characteristics, have higher levels of satisfaction and return employer respect with increased commitment and discretionary effort.
The current worsening skills shortage across the sector also provides impetus for a fresh look at how we can make the built environment more attractive and welcoming to the wider population for the good of all.
This course is hosted on a separate site, Future Learn.
You will have One Month Free access, after this there will be a charge for unlimited access and to download the Certificate.
Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Define what is meant by diversity & inclusion
- Understand the benefits of a commitment to promoting inclusive practices in the built environment sector
- Appreciate the extent of current underrepresentation and the increasing impact of the skills shortage
- Demonstrate a good understanding of best practice and ‘what works’ in making change
- Know where to go for further support and information
- What we mean by D&I
- The benefits of promoting D&I for the sector
- The current workforce profile of the BE sector & skills shortage (global/UK)
- Historic & current initiatives to promote D&I
- Examples of best practice and suggested actions
The Educators won’t be able to join the discussions themselves or respond to individual comments, but the course encourages a strong learning community. The learning is focused around debate and discussion – supporting other learners, sharing your own experience and knowledge, and listening to new perspectives. We hope that you will enjoy interacting with and learning from each other in this way.
Here are the answers to some of the most commonly asked questions about this course:
- The course takes place 100% online, and those who sign up should expect to make a commitment of 1 hour per section.
- There are no live sessions; we will not expect you to be online at any specific times over the dur
ation of the course.
- If you require a Certificate of Achievement, please select the option to upgrade your enrolment for a fee. Your certificate will be delivered at the end of the course. Those who don’t require proof of their studies can enjoy full access to the course free of charge.
- To join, please click here to be redirected to the Future Learn online platform. This is where the course will be delivered, and it’s also the place where many more FAQs are answered.
This course will be of value to anyone involved in the construction industry and the built environment with an interest in improving the sector’s diversity and addressing underrepresentation.
The Chartered Institute of Building is at the heart of a management and leadership career in the built environment.
We are the world’s largest and most influential professional body for construction management and leadership. We have a Royal Charter to promote the science and practice of building and construction for the benefit of society, and we’ve been doing that since 1834. Our members work worldwide in the development, conservation and improvement of the built environment.
Our courses, CPD and publications are guaranteed to meet your development needs and help you gain and maintain industry qualifications and CIOB membership.
We offer on-demand, in-person training, as well as dedicated training solutions to meet your company's needs.