Management of Asbestos
Planning and Organising
As we are all aware exposure to Asbestos can cause cancer, a wide range of materials containing asbestos still remain across thousands of buildings in the UK and Europe. This course has been designed to provide you with the skills and knowledge required to manage projects and ensure that the risks from asbestos are identified and controlled.
Taking part in this course can help you to protect yourself and others from the dangers of asbestos exposure. With an estimated 5000 annual deaths from past exposure, asbestos remains the top cause of work related deaths in the UK. This course is specifically designed for those in property or facilities management and contractors, teaching you how to identify asbestos risks and comply with the law, manage projects safely to avoid exposure, and respond in emergency situations. Gain the necessary skills and knowledge to protect yourself and others from the dangers of asbestos.
By the end of the course, you should be confident to put in place the right processes and procedures to safely complete projects.
- Online Teams session, the links for which shall be provided 1 week prior the sessions initiation date.
Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.
- Understand the different types of asbestos and associated risks
- Know the diseases caused by exposure
- Determine where asbestos is likely to be located in buildings
- Arrange and manage the appropriate surveys and records
- Write a policy and procedures for dealing with asbestos
- Assess risks to all parties posed by the type and condition of building materials containing asbestos
- Handle an emergency or asbestos ‘scare’
- Select and manage specialist contractors to carry out asbestos removal operations
- Recognise when to use air monitoring and bulk sampling services and be able to explain the results to others
- Interpret the law relating to asbestos in premises.
- What is asbestos?
- Health effects of exposure
- Building materials that may contain asbestos
- Control of premises that may contain asbestos
- Managing risk of asbestos exposure
- General Legislation affecting asbestos e.g. HASAWA, CDM, etc.
- Specific Asbestos Legislation
This course will benefit not only those involved in Property or Facilities Management but also Managers and Directors of Contractors who carry out any work that may disturb the fabric of existing buildings.
There is no assessment, you will receive a certificate of completion following the course.
Terry ap Hywel
Terry is a Chartered Health and Safety Practitioner and a Fellow of the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (CFIOSH). He was Chairman of the Construction Division of IOSH during the consultation stage of CDM 1994 and co‑ordinated the Construction Division’s response to the proposed regulations as well as being involved with the preparation of the Guidance.
His career began with twelve years in construction design, management and engineering. This was followed by 40 years’ experience in health and safety, 35 years of which he has been engaged as a consultant by a variety of organisations. He has written and contributed to various publications including a textbook giving practical CDM guidance.
Terry has assisted a number of national and international organisations to set up and implement systems for the management of contractors. He was also involved in the selection of the contractor to design and build the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff.
Members gain 3 CIOB CPD points when you reflect on the ethical aspects of your learning from this activity.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
Our courses, CPD and publications are guaranteed to meet your development needs and help you gain and maintain industry qualifications and CIOB membership.
We offer on-demand, in-person training, as well as dedicated training solutions to meet your company's needs.