Sustainable Construction and Development
Sustainable development meets the needs of the present by carrying out activities that do not compromise future generations’ ability to meet their own needs.
On this FREE course, developed by the CIOB and London South Bank University, you’ll learn about the obligations and actions that play a role in the concept and practice of sustainability in construction and development. You’ll explore the need for environmental, economic and social sustainability, and the implications for the construction industry.
You’ll learn best practices from successful sustainability initiatives, and understand the challenge of achieving sustainability in the future.
This course is for anyone interested in sustainable construction and development, but may be of particular interest to those working in or studying construction and the wider built environment. It also counts towards annual CPD requirements (10 hours in total).
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
In this online course, you will cover:
- The complexities of sustainability in construction and development of the built assets, together with challenges, importance, and impact of role performance.
- Environmental sustainability in construction and development of built assets, and the important roles of innovations, professionalism, ethics, culture and procurement practices and regulations.
- Economic sustainability and the roles of effective business cases, organisational size, dynamics of networks & integrated delivery; and procurement practices.Social sustainability in construction and development of built assets, and the roles of construction processes, outputs and outcomes on people and society.
- Lessons learned from good and best practices in sustainability, and how these could be embraced and taken-up, together with challenges and appropriate guidelines for implementation.
- Future challenges in sustainable development based on possible scenarios considering the level of success of current mitigation and adaptation measures.
Here are the answers to some of the most commonly asked questions about this course:
- The course takes place 100% online over a period of 5 weeks. New content is released on a weekly basis, and those who sign up should expect to make a commitment of 2 hours per week.
- Once each week’s content has been released it will be available 24 hours per day, right up until 2 weeks after the course has ended. There are no live sessions; we will not expect you to be online at any specific times over the duration of the course.
- If you require a Certificate of Achievement, please select the option to upgrade your enrolment for a fee of £52. Your certificate will be delivered at the end of the course. Those who don’t require proof of their studies can enjoy full access to the course free of charge.
- The next course starts on 9th September 2019. To join, please click here to be redirected to the Future Learn online platform. This is where the course will be delivered, and it’s also the place where many more FAQs are answered.
Professor Charles Egbu
Professor Charles Egbu and the team from London South Bank University will be welcoming you on the course.
You can read Charles Egbu’s full biography here.