Chartered Membership Programme
CIOB is the world's largest and most influential professional body for construction management and leadership, and membership is recognised around the globe. It is at the heart of developing a management career in construction.Completing the Chartered Membership Programme is your springboard to becoming MCIOB. Successfully completing the course will give you the confidence to take the final step to becoming Chartered, by applying for the professional review. It is suitable for a wide range of technical and specialist professionals working in the construction industry, and for candidates who have completed the CIOB Site Management Programmes.
CIOB is the world’s largest and most influential professional body for construction management and leadership, and membership is recognised around the globe. It is at the heart of developing a management career in construction.
Completing the Chartered Membership Programme is your springboard to becoming MCIOB. Successfully completing the course will give you the confidence to take the final step to becoming Chartered, namely attending the professional review. It is suitable for a wide range of technical and specialist professionals working in the construction industry, and for candidates who have completed the CIOB Site Management Programmes.
Our programme is made up of 4 modules designed to give you the specialist knowledge and skills required to manage construction projects effectively.
- Business Construction and Environmental
- Health, Safety and Welfare
- Construction Technology
Specifically, the course will develop your skills in planning and scheduling construction projects, as well as your ability to deal with the legal framework around health and safety, understand the factors which affect the costs of a construction project, and how work is procured. You will also develop the required understanding of concepts in ground engineering techniques and substructure technology.
Following the 4 modules, you will also be given guidance on the professional review, the final stage to chartered membership. All together you will gain both the required technical skills and a complete understanding of the membership process so that you can approach your application with confidence.
**This course qualifies for a CITB grant, for further information, please contact CITB directly. **
The next available start date for this course is 2nd November 2021
For those interested in taking the course but do not want to sit the exam, the cost of the course can be reduced to £1,150 + VAT. Please contact email@example.com to take up this offer.
At the end of your course you will be able to:
- Understand the law in relation to the construction industry
- Effectively administer construction contracts and disputes
- Manage the procurement process and commercial risks
- Apply the relevant legislation and standards to ensure health and safety on site
- Demonstrate knowledge of sustainable construction and its application
- Analyse the design structures and detail the different design solutions
- Manage time, resources and people on all types of project
This course is specifically for progression to MCIOB upon successfully completing Professional Review. Candidates must have at least one of the following to start the course:
- Five years’ experience in a construction management role
- Completion of a Level 4 Site Management qualification
- Technical qualifications such as HNC or HND.
A wide range of other technical and specialist professionals working in the construction industry can also be considered. Please contact our membership team on + 44 (0) 1344 630 706 if you are unsure of your suitability.
The Programme is made up of 4 modules designed to give you the specialist knowledge and skills required to manage construction projects effectively along side professional review advice and preparation. In addition, all teachers are MCIOB/FCIOB and have extensive, relevant technical experience and competence.
Module 1 – Business Construction Environmental
- Critically evaluate the impact of legislation that falls within the responsibility of the construction manager
- Appraise environmental concepts and how they apply to organisational strategy and policy formation
- Evaluate and apply different performance management techniques within the construction industry
- Review and apply aspects of social responsibility and professional obligations in a construction context
Module 2 – Health, Safety and welfare
- Apply the legal framework which underpins health and safety in construction.
- Reflect on the manager’s role in promoting and enhancing the health safety and well-being of stakeholders
- Apply principles of risk management to enhance Health, Safety & Welfare on construction projects
- Critically evaluate and deliver appropriate/enhanced H&S practice & procedures to projects
Module 3 – Construction Technology
- Apply concepts in ground engineering techniques and substructure technology
- Critically evaluate the design and operation of a building’s superstructure
- Examine and apply the principles of the installation of building services
- Analyse the value of integrating off-site fabrication into a construction project
Module 4 – Management
- Analyse and solve problems related to the construction process
- Critically evaluate how construction works are procured
- Appraise the management of resources used on projects
- Apply appropriate project planning and scheduling tools for construction projects
- Appraise and evaluate the financial management of construction projects
Professional Review Preparation
Following completion of the four modules, our tutors will provide a live session on the professional review process, how to prepare and common pitfalls to avoid in your application.
The Academy course fee is £1,550 + VAT which includes the exam fee. You will need to also become a student member with CIOB which involves a £53 registration fee and £38 student membership fee.
For those interested in taking the course, but do not want to take the exam at the end, the cost of the course can be reduced to £1,150 + VAT. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to take this offer.
When you apply to undertake professional review, you will pay a separate fee to CIOB.
Please click here to find out more information about the CIOB Professional Review Essentials workshop.
Each unit will deliver the content using the following resources in order to give a rich and informative experience:
- Instructional eLearning
- Course reading materials
- Case studies and practical exercises.
- Online forum for tutor and delegates
- Live webinars in the middle and at the end of each module.
Assessment is made via a written Open Book Exam that is based upon a project scenario and site drawings set by CIOB. The exam is issued to all candidates on a day in June or November via our online academy. Candidates will have 10 days to submit their answers. Upon successful completion of the course delegates will be able to apply for Professional Review which is the final step before obtaining MCIOB.
Successful completion of the assessment gives a Certificate of Attainment for your CPD record, and provides the academic recognition needed to undertake your professional review and apply for MCIOB.
The Professional Review
Upon completing the Chartered Membership programme, you can progress to your Professional Review application. This is an assessment of your occupational and management competence and the final stage of gaining your Chartered membership.
At that time, your tutors will provide a live session on the professional review process, how to prepare and common pitfalls to avoid in your application.
|For details on CPD on this topic, please click below:|