Chartered Membership Programme
CIOB is the world's largest and most influential professional body for construction management and leadership, and membership is recognised around the globe. It is at the heart of developing a management career in construction.Completing the Chartered Membership Programme is your springboard to becoming MCIOB. Successfully completing the course will give you the confidence to take the final step to becoming Chartered, by applying for the professional review. It is suitable for a wide range of technical and specialist professionals working in the construction industry, and for candidates who have completed the CIOB Site Management Programmes.
Our online programme is made up of 4 modules designed to give you the specialist knowledge and skills required to manage construction projects effectively
- Contracts and Commercial Practice
- Construction Technology
- Health, Safety and the Environment
Specifically, the course will develop your skills in planning and scheduling construction projects, as well as your ability to deal with the legal framework around health and safety, understand the factors which affect the costs of a construction project, and how work is procured. You will also develop the required understanding of concepts in ground engineering techniques and substructure technology.
Following the 4 modules, you will also be given guidance on the professional review, the final stage to chartered membership. All together you will gain both the required technical skills and a complete understanding of the membership process so that you can approach your application with confidence.
The next available date for this course is 26 March, 2018. Enrollments can be taken up to one month after this date.
For those interested in taking the course but do not want to sit the exam, the cost of the course can be reduced to £1,150 + VAT. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to take this up offer.
At the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Understand the law in relation to the construction industry
- Effectively administer construction contracts and disputes
- Manage the procurement process and commercial risks
- Apply the relevant legislation and standards to ensure health and safety on site
- Demonstrate knowledge of sustainable construction and its application
- Analyse the design structures and detail the different design solutions
- Manage time, resources and people on all types of project
This course is specifically for progression to MCIOB upon successfully completing Professional Review. Candidates must have at least one of the following to start the course:
- Five years’ experience in a construction management role
- Completion of a Level 4 Site Management qualification
- Technical qualifications such as HNC or HND.
A wide range of other technical and specialist professionals working in the construction industry can also be considered. Please contact our membership team on + 44 (0) 1344 630 706 if you are unsure of your suitability.
The Programme is made up of 4 modules designed to give you the specialist knowledge and skills required to manage construction projects effectively along side professional review advice and preparation. The modules are below and a complete course guide can be found here.
Contracts and Commercial Practice
- Understand the law in relation to the construction industry
- Understand the factors that affect the costs of a construction project
- Understand the pre-and-post contract administrative processes
- Understand how construction work is procured, how commercial risk is managed and how construction disputes can be resolved
- Develop the required understanding of concepts in ground engineering techniques and substructure technology
- Understand the principles of the installation of building services
- Analyse the design and operation of the superstructure for commercial and multi storey buildings
- Understand the principles of relating to work on existing structures and fabric
- Understand the design process in relation to the built environment
Health, Safety and the Environment
- Understand the legal framework underpinning health and safety
- Understand actual or anticipated health, safety and environmental risks
- Understand the aims of sustainable development, legislation and its application to the Built Environment
- Understand problems from an environmental perspective and how they apply to organisational strategy and policy formation
- Understand process management in the construction industry
- Understand the management of resources used in the construction industry
- Understand the planning and scheduling of construction projects
- Understand performance management within the construction industry
Each unit will deliver the content using the following resources in order to give a rich and informative experience:
- Instructional eLearning
- Course reading materials
- Case studies and practical exercises.
- Online forum for tutor and delegates
- Live webinars in the middle and at the end of each module.
The Academy course fee is £1,500 + VAT which includes the exam fee. You will need to also become a student member with CIOB which involves a £50 registration fee and £35 student membership fee.
For those interested in taking the course, but do not want to take the exam at the end, the cost of the course can be reduced to £1,150 + VAT. Please contact email@example.com to take this offer.
When you apply to undertake professional review, you will pay a separate fee to CIOB.
All teachers are MCIOB/FCIOB and have extensive, relevant technical experience and competence.
Adrian Bell MRICS MCIOB is a Chartered Quantity Surveyor with 25 years’ experience in the construction and civil engineering industry. His career is now focused on providing education, training and development to construction, estimating and surveying professionals. Adrian is also an experienced lecturer delivering construction and surveying related courses. His current roles include:
- Senior Lecturer in Quantity Surveying.
- Consultant Quantity Surveyor.
- CIOB trainer and consultant.
- RICS Assessment of Professional Competence Assessor and Mentor.
- New Zealand Polytechnic course developer.
Adrian has considerable practical experience working for Quantity Surveying Consultants, Contractors, Subcontractors in the Building, Civil Engineering, Rail, Mechanical and Electrical sectors. Adrian is also working towards a PhD titled ‘ A Conceptual Framework to enhance financial projections during a buildings Operational Phase’
Adrian takes a supportive encouraging approach with regards to training and development.
Dr. Michael Hammond FCIOB
Dr. Hammond started his career as a plumber before moving on to train as a quantity surveyor, working with a number of large consultancies including Turner and Townsend. In the early 1990s, he moved into education, working initially at Wigan and Leigh College before moving to Dudley College, where he became head of construction. In 2005, he moved to SummitSkills Ltd the Sector Skills Council for the Building Services Engineering Sector as Head of Research. Dr. Hammond has published a book on Skills Policy in the UK and a number of academic papers. In addition, he has also published numerous reports for Government Departments, Devolved Government, and numerous agencies around the UK Currently Mike is Director of his own Research and Education Company, offering bespoke research and educational services to public and private sector clients. Mike is also currently an examiner for the CIOB on the Chartered Management Programme.
Assessment is made via an Open Book Exam which is carried out at the end of the programme. The exam is issued to all candidates on a day in June or November via our online academy. You will be provided with a construction project scenario and drawings and will answer 4 questions relating to the 4 modules. You will be given 10 days to submit your answer to the questions through the virtual learning environment, Moodle. This allows you to use the resources of your choice to complete your exam.
Successful completion of the assessment gives a Certificate of Attainment for your CPD record, and provides the academic recognition needed to undertake your professional review and apply for MCIOB.
The Professional Review
Upon completing the Chartered Membership programme, you can progress to your Professional Review application. This is an assessment of your occupational and management competence and the final stage of gaining your Chartered membership.
At that time, your tutors will provide a live session on the professional review process, how to prepare and common pitfalls to avoid in your application.