Construction Management Essentials: Health, Safety and the Environment
If you are a company looking to train multiple employees at a time, please contact the Academy to explore the best offers. This course can be sold individually, and also packaged with other courses on our site.
Virtually everyone involved in a construction project has legal duties regarding health and safety. Specifically, those responsible for designing, constructing and operating buildings must manage, monitor and co-ordinate health and safety practice during the phases in which they work. Our course is designed to expand your knowledge of health and safety in construction and consider environmental perspectives linked to sustainability. You will be provided with key skills in dealing with actual or anticipated health, safety and environmental risks along with a thorough grounding of how these skills are uniquely applied to the built environment. Moreover, there is further focus on management plans for safe working practices.
By completing the course you will demonstrate an ability to analyse the issues around the legal framework surrounding health and safety, evaluate risk management systems, and prepare management plans for safe working practice on your sites. The Health, Safety and Environment course is delivered online via e-learning and case studies to support you as you study. You will be given access for 90 days to offer you flexibility as you study.
At the end of your course you will be able to:
- Understand the legal framework underpinning health and safety
- Manage actual or anticipated health, safety and environmental risks
- Evaluate the aims of sustainable development and its application to the Built Environment
- Identify and discuss problems from an environmental perspective
- Understand environmental concepts and how they apply to organisational strategy
The course is for those looking to develop skills in a key area of construction practice. The course is suitable for* :
- Construction managers
- Site Managers
- HNC or HND construction professionals
- Other technical and specialist
- professionals working in the construction industry with 3 – 5 years’ experience
*This course is a standalone that contributes to your professional development. For those looking to become MCIOB via the Chartered Membership Programme (CMP), please purchase the full CMP programme.
Content will be delivered using the following resources in order to give a rich and informative experience:
- Instructional eLearning
- Course reading materials
- Case studies and practical exercises.
The topics covered are:
Legal frameworks in health, safety and the environment
- Describe emergency management procedures
- Understand company policies for successful Health and Safety Management
- Evaluate health and safety management systems
Actual or anticipated health, safety and environmental risks
- Prepare a risk assessment
- Prepare a management plan for safe working practices
- Assess and manage actual or anticipated health, safety and environmental risks
The aims of sustainable development, legislation and its application to the Built Environment
- Describe the relationship between economics, society and the environment
- Evaluate how legislation works to protect natural resources
Environmental perspectives and sustainable solutions
- Evaluate appropriate environmental assessment methodologies
- Identify and apply current technologies and anticipate future and legislative requirements
Environmental concepts, organisational strategy and policy formation
- Evaluate environmental improvement through the organisations customer and supply chain
- Discuss the underlying concept of carbon management and offsetting